There’s so much grey to every story – nothing is so black and white.
Sure Kratom has a lot of health benefits to offer to its users. But that doesn’t strike out the ugly fact that it has its own share of side effects and hazards associated to it. Hence, it becomes inevitable to get an in depth knowledge about the product that you are using- kratom effects and possible side effect.
Perhaps the most potent danger that this herb has to offer, is its addictive potential. Definitely, opiate drugs are much more addictive in nature than this herb. However, we cannot underestimate the tendency of this naturally occurring herb to become equally addictive.
It also has some side effects, though not very fatal, unless combined with certain hazardous substances. For instance, the combination of opiate drug and kratom leaves is a deadly one and therefore should never be opted for. Other substances like alcohol and certain medications tend to hinder the outcome and interfere with the mode of action of this herb. The minor concomitant that one may experience are listed below.
Kratom is heavily promoted as a legal, undetectable, safe drug that can be used to come off stronger drugs. It is not yet illegal in the US but the breakdown products of kratom can be detected with some drug tests. Because of its legality, the drug tends to be more popular among young people who cannot yet buy alcohol and who may be concerned about being arrested with weed or other drugs.
Though this herb has been popularly famous for over more than a decade,it is only now than people are taking interest to comprehend the physical and mental benefits that this tree tends to promote.
There happens to be a wide range of effects prevailing in nature. These tend to vary depending on an individual’s tolerance level and the place of origin of the herb. Within the trees of the same geographical location, the differences occur due to the varying vein colors of the leaf, which indicate the different alkaloid profile that it carries and hence, the unique reactions that it will offer.
It is a unique drug that changes its outcome depending upon the quantity. Low to moderate dosages usually act to be stimulating, whereas a high dose is, pretty much always, sedating. The active alkaloids tend to act as both, stimulants and sedatives. Which property will dominate depends mainly on the quantity and also on other factors like a person’s tolerance level and the strains used.
The most fascinating and interesting point being, that although kratom has a similar mode of action as most of the opiate pain medications, it is not as addictive as opiate and hence is preferred by people to fight opiate withdrawal symptoms. Let us discuss the two most distinctive types of effect:
- The stimulant level effect: Low to medium doses help to achieve this state. It makes users feel more energetic and enthusiastic, increases sex drive, increases the will power and stamina to undertake difficult and tiring work, helps overcome shyness in public settings, etc. However, people with lower tolerance level might even find this reaction edgy instead of enjoyable…..more…..
- The sedative-euphoric-analgesic level effect: This level tends to provide more serenity and calmness. People have described a feeling of overall tranquility and have also felt a lot less emotional and physical pain. Some people cannot handle the aftermath of high dosage like sweating, itching, nausea, constriction of pupils, light headedness, vomiting, etc. People usually phase out in a trance state of mind and feel like living a dream, which is a primary reason why most of the people opt for other hazardous drugs…. check more effects here.
The onset of effects is rather a rapid process, especially when taken on an empty stomach (30-40 minutes post intake). However, they are a little delayed when accompanied with food (60-90 minutes post intake). Furthermore, the delay can be increased when taken in form of a capsule, due to the obvious time taken to break down the gelatin or any other capsule coating. The consequences typically last for about 5-6 hours.
Dangers And Caution
Other than addiction, the only risk that one is exposed to when taking this herb on its own, is the risk of feeling dizzy or sleepy without prior warnings. Hence the following cautions are strongly recommended:
- Do not ever drive when under the influence of this herb. Though you might feel you are only stimulated and happily high, you must avoid driving since there is a possibility of you falling asleep anytime.
- Do not use any other hazardous equipment or attempt an activity until the effects begin to fade and you are more conscious of your deeds.
- Pregnant women strictly avoid this drug, unless advised by the doctor. The studies on this subject are limited and so the effect can be quite unpredictable and hence best avoided.
Some of the undesirable concomitants that can come along with this herb are:
- Unsettled stomach
- Difficulty in breathing
- Violent or argumentative behavior
- Psychotic experiences
Some of the symptoms that suggest an addiction are:
- Decreasing sexual drive
- Weight loss
- Skin pigmentation
- Yearning for the herb in spite of the harm that it causes to one’s body
Since it is highly addictive, abrupt end to its intake can cause withdrawal symptoms like:
- Physical pain
- Mental pain/ depression
- Muscle tremors
- Panic attacks
- Mood swings
- Short temper
- Light headedness
- The ill-famed wobbles
Choosing The Right Vein Type
So you have made the decision of opting for this herb. But what next? Which type is best for you? Well, this question can only be answered by you, yourself by going for a few trial-and-errors. This is because every person has a different preference and reason for intake. Moreover, the outcomes tend to differ on every individual. The best idea is to start with the samplers of different types and fusion and find out for yourself which vein type works the best for you. However here is a general description of Red, Green and White vein kratom.
Red Vein Kratom
Let us commence with the most famous and highest seller type. Bali and Thai strains, in particular, are the talk of the town. The primary reason for this is being their availability in abundance. The viability of the seeds of red vein strains are responsible for richness of this strain globally. These are typically the sedating strains.
The red vein variety is said to provide the following benefits:
- Strong analgesic reactions
- Promotes a feeling of exhilaration and recreation.
- An effective substitute to opiate based medicine.
- Helps overcome opiate withdrawal symptoms
- Are more compatible with its users.
Green And White Vein Kratom
These two are more robust strains. Generally, white strains are said to be a little more energetic ones as compared to the green variety. The green vein strains provide:
- Much more stimulating outcome as compared to the red vein varieties.
- Clears the mind and hence promote clearer thinking
- Extra stamina for people who have to work for longer hours or have work dealing with physical strength like the athletes and the laborers.
- Helps to fight anxiety and melancholy symptoms.
On the other hand the white vein strains have to following advantages:
- Boosts energy and concentration power and hence often used in place of the morning tea or coffee
- Delivers soothing and calming properties.