There are many products out there in the cannabis marketplace, and many people are lost for choice or simply unsure of which product to settle on. In this piece, we are going to take a look at CBD hemp salves and the medicinal benefits that one can reap from them.
What is a CBD Hemp Salve?
- A CBD hemp salve is a concoction with medicine (CBD) infused in it. The CBD is gotten from industrial hemp. The medicine gets into the body through the skin.
- The salve does not contain water or moisturizing agents. Instead, it uses wax and fatty oils as a base.
How CBD Hemp Salve is Made
CBD hemp salves are not complex in the making and there are diverse recipes that can be employed to make them. What’s common about them is that they contain the same ingredients:
- They contain natural wax, mostly beeswax.
- Have a fatty oil base- this is the medium that carries the medicine.
A medicinal compound
- On the wax portion, most manufacturers go for natural beeswax that is non-enriched. Other alternatives include vegetable waxes such as the Candelilla wax which is gotten from the leaves of the Candelilla plant commonly grown in Mexico. However, vegetable waxes are mostly used when making 100% vegan products.
- The oil is responsible for harboring the CBD in the salve. There are several options when settling for oils, but the most popular is coconut oil. It is preferred because it’s fatty acids content is high. The fatty acids latch on the CBD and help to carry it. Furthermore, the higher the concentration of fatty acids, the more the amount of CBD will be transported.
- To infuse the active CBD into the oil, the hemp plant is ground up until it is fine, after which it is “steeped” in the oil at 200+ degrees Fahrenheit for several hours. Once this is done, it is mixed with melted-down wax and sometimes essential oils to come up with the salve.
How CBD Hemp Salves Work
- CBD hemp salves baffle many minds because not many understand how applying the salve onto the skin would have the medicinal compounds infused into the body cells.
- What most don’t know is that the skin, in addition to keeping off harmful substances, is also a molecular passageway, especially quick in absorbing lipid-based oils. This is why applying the CBD hemp salve on the skin is effective.
- Once applied topically, the lipids in the salve, that contain the CBD, are carried through the skin cell membranes. In the process, it lends its healing mechanisms to the surrounding layers of cells and tissue.
- The speed at which this is done makes salves ideal for offering relief to patients with conditions such as joint pain or skin conditions such as psoriasis.
Medicinal Benefits of CBD Hemp Salves
- Of the numerous benefits that come with CBD hemp salves, pain relief is top on the list. Studies have shown that cannabinoids inhibit the transmission of neurons in pain pathways which make them effective for pain modulation. These salves are mostly prescribed to patients suffering from arthritic joint pain or those experiencing localized muscle pain and skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- CBD has been shown to alleviate anxiety levels in patients suffering from social anxiety disorder. Other conditions such as panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder can also be remedied by CBD.
- CBD has been shown to alleviate symptoms associated with cancer and the side effects that arise from cancer treatment such as pain, nausea, and vomiting. In one study, CBD was found to offer pain relief to patients who didn’t get relief from their pain medication.
- In another study, CBD was shown to reduce nausea and vomiting induced by chemotherapy and which are some of the side effects brought about by chemotherapy in those with cancer.
- Another study on animals showed that CBD might help fight cancer as it has anticancer properties.
- Acne is a skin condition that afflicts over 9% of the people in our nation. Studies have shown that CBD can help treat acne as it has anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, it can reduce the production of sebum in the skin.
Small-scale studies have discovered that a small percentage of CBD users might exhibit side effects as they do not tolerate it well. Common side effects include:
- Tiredness and insomnia
- Feeling irritable
- Allergic reaction on the skin
How to Settle for The Best CBD Hemp Salves
One benefit that comes with CBD hemp salves is that they won’t get you buzzed or get you high. This is because the CBD is gotten from industrial hemp and not marijuana. Though both plants have some similarities, hemp does not contain any THC which is the component responsible for inducing the euphoric and mind-altering highs. This should be a relief to all those fearing that they will get stoned from using hemp products.
Another thing to be conscious of is that even though the CBD hemp salves have worked on thousands of individuals, their effect might not be the same on everyone. For this reason, carry out your research, experiment with different doses and various salves to find which is suitable for you and your condition.
You should also be wary of fake products out there in the market. For this reason, carry out your research, experiment with different doses and various salves to find which is suitable for you and your condition.
You should also be wary of fake products out there in the market. Ensure that you are dealing with the actual product before buying it. There might be top-notch CBD hemp salves out there, but there are also fake products, and you don’t want to land on a bogus product.
Use of CBD might not be legal in some states so you might want to check your local laws before purchasing the CBD hemp salve. Additionally, if you want to use it alongside other medication, you should consult your doctor before trying it out.