An extract is simply a form of the product comprising of a concentrated quantity of its active ingredients. Kratom leaves have about a 40 different alkaloids embedded in them, which are all soluble in water . So the extracted blend has almost all of the components of the kratom leaf.
The water-based Kratom extracts are said to be the most common variety that has been used very popularly. It is created using the following protocol:
- Alkaloids are extracted from the leaves and then dissolved in water.
- This mixture is strained and grinded to obtain a powdered form.
- The mixture is then dehydrated.
- The residue left behind is much more rich and concentrated in the active alkaloids than the leaf itself.
This extract is known to have almost negligible side effects.
The potency is denoted in terms of ‘X’ (i.e. 5X, 20X) on the package to represent the actual quantity of the Kratom’s plain leaf material used in making the end product. However, the information displayed on the product at any shop, may not be 100% authentic and can just be a business tactic.
The only way to check the authenticity of the product is by comparing its rate to the plain leaf. A leaf, obviously ought to be 25 times cheaper than a 25x extract. And if not so, the product description is probably just a hokum.
Most extracts of this range are achieved by a very easy water extraction method, which can be obvious, if it dissolves almost instantaneously when placed in warm water.
Another method to get this end product is an acid to base extraction. The potency of this extract is usually around 80x, making it active at around 80mg. But in this kind of extraction, we tend to loose almost 80% of the alkaloids. Hence this is a very exotic and expensive variety used only by people who have a special preference for this type of extract.
Let us discuss the pros and cons of this type before you decide to go for it.
The list of advantages of this water-based Kratom extract is a huge one, since it is a more concentrated form as compared to the plain leaf. It has proved to impart its effect with almost no side effects accompanying it. Being able to dissolve in water, gives it some additional abilities like:
- The desired effects can be elevated when used in combination with the plain leaves
- Supplemented with a higher concentration of active Alkaloids
- Can impart better stimulation effects than the base material of a plain leaf
- Negligible side effects as compared to other types of extracts
- Can easily dissolve and liquefy in water and hence can be used in combination with other liquids
On the other hand, it also has some disadvantages linked to it. Some of them being:
- Not effective in yielding the targeted effects required when used independently
- Requires to be used in combination with plain leaves in order to feel stronger and vigorous effects efficiently
- Less sedating and pain relieving effects
- Tendency to increase the tolerance
- More expensive considering its potency as compared to the plain leaf itself